Radiocarbon Dating Analysis at DirectAMS
Email confirmation of receipt is sent to the submitter of record on the Submission Form, as well as any requested associates and the invoicing contact. This email receipt serves as our standard, formal contract with you, containing:
- Confirmation of your sample identifiers
- Corresponding D-AMS identification numbers
- A tentative quote for the services requested
- Initial observations or policies that may apply
- Acknowledgement of any special requests
- The date on which to expect results
- Contact information for specific inquiries.
Processing will not begin without a completed Submission Form.
Samples are photographed and inspected for appropriateness of the requesetd services. Any discrepancies are discussed with the submitter. Samples then proceed through portioning/subsampling, physical and chemical pre-treatment protocols, production of CO2 by combustion or acid digestion, reduction of CO2 to graphite, preparation of graphite for measurement, measurement of carbon isotopes by Accelerator Mass Spectrometer (AMS), and data analysis, as appropriate for the type of sample submitted.